Table of Contents Show
The Appeal of Sausage Pizza
Sausage pizza’s popularity can be attributed to its unique flavor profile. The sausage itself is made from a blend of pork, beef, and spices, which gives it a distinct, robust flavor.
Additional Toppings to Pair with Sausage
Here are some popular choices that can add extra flavor and texture to your sausage pizza.
- Onion: Onions can be sweet or sour, soft or crisp. They can be eaten raw, sautéed, or caramelized. No matter how you prepare them, onions make a great topping for sausage pizza. If you want a bit of sweetness, try using caramelized onions. If you want a bit of acidity, use sautéed onions. If you want a crunch, use raw onions.
- Garlic: Garlic has a pungent, spicy, and earthy flavor that goes great with sausage on pizza. You can use fresh garlic, garlic powder, or roasted garlic. If you use fresh garlic, you will need to mince it or press it before adding it to the pizza. If you use garlic powder, you can simply sprinkle it over the pizza.
- Green Peppers: Slightly bitter with a grassy flavor, green peppers are a classic pizza topping. They can be enjoyed raw, sautéed, or roasted. When adding green peppers to your pizza, it is best to cook them beforehand so that they are not too crunchy.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms generally taste a bit earthy and nutty, with a slightly chewy texture. They can be a great addition to sausage pizza as they provide a contrasting flavor and texture. You can prepare mushrooms for pizza by slicing them thin, so they cook evenly.
- Olives: Olives range from salty to mild and sweet, making them a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes. For pizza, you can either use whole olives or olive tapenade. Olives pair well with other toppings such as onions, peppers, and feta cheese.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes can be sweet, tart, tangy or balanced. They can be eaten fresh or cooked. When choosing tomatoes for your pizza, you can either use fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes.
- Spinach: Raw spinach has a mild, slightly sweet flavor that is a great complement to sausage on pizza. You can sauté the spinach in a bit of olive oil to soften it up before adding it to your pizza.
- Artichokes: Artichokes have a slightly bitter taste that pairs well with the savory flavor of sausage. You can use canned or frozen artichokes for this topping, but fresh artichokes will give the best flavor.
- Pineapple: This vibrant tropical fruit is sweet and tart, and its juicy texture pairs perfectly with the savory sausage on pizza. You can prepare pineapple by slicing it into thin strips or cubes.
- Jalapeños: Do you like some heat on your pizza? If so, jalapeños are a great topping to add! You can either slice them thin or dice them up before adding them to your pizza.
- Basil: Basil is a balance between sweet and savory with a hint of peppery spice. It’s the perfect topping for sausage on pizza because it can be used in so many different ways. You can chop up fresh basil and sprinkle it over your pizza, or you can use basil pesto for a more intense flavor.
- Pepperoni: Pepperoni is one of the most classic pizza toppings in America. It is also one of the most versatile, as there are many different ways to prepare it. You can slice it thin, dice it, or even leave it in large chunks.
- Ham: Ham comes in many different forms, all of which are delicious on pizza. You can use sliced ham, diced ham, or even crumbled ham.
- Cheese: There are tons of delicious cheeses you can use on pizza, and they all go great with sausage. Some of my favorites include mozzarella, cheddar, Parmesan, and goat cheese.
The Best Side Dishes to Pair with Sausage Pizza
While sausage pizza is a complete meal in itself, pairing it with the right side dish can elevate your dining experience.
Here are some of the best side dishes that complement the robust flavors of sausage pizza.
- Salads: A fresh salad is a great way to balance the richness of sausage pizza. The light, crisp vegetables and tangy dressing provide a refreshing contrast to the pizza. Some popular options include Caesar salad, Greek salad, or a simple garden salad.
- Garlic Bread or Breadsticks: The savory flavors of garlic bread or breadsticks complement the spiciness of the sausage. Plus, they’re perfect for mopping up any leftover pizza sauce!
- Chicken Wings: If you’re looking for a meatier side, chicken wings can be a great choice. You can choose from a variety of flavors like BBQ, buffalo, or garlic parmesan to match your taste preference.
- Pasta: A side of pasta can make your meal more filling. Consider a simple spaghetti aglio e olio (garlic and oil) or a creamy fettuccine alfredo to complement the pizza.
- Antipasto Platter: An antipasto platter with a variety of cured meats, cheeses, olives, and marinated vegetables can be a great side dish that allows guests to customize their own plate.
The Best Drinks to Pair with Sausage Pizza
The right drink can enhance the flavors of your sausage pizza.
Here are some popular choices:
- Beer: A cold beer is a classic pairing with pizza. The carbonation and bitterness of the beer can cut through the richness of the sausage. Try a lager or an IPA for a refreshing contrast.
- Wine: If you prefer wine, a medium-bodied red like a Chianti or a Zinfandel can complement the robust flavors of the sausage.
- Soft Drinks: For a non-alcoholic option, a classic cola or a sparkling water with a slice of lemon or lime can be a refreshing accompaniment.
- Iced Tea: A glass of iced tea, either sweetened or unsweetened, can be a great palate cleanser between slices of pizza.